“The first day we were in India, one of the men was telling me that no one here thinks about comfort. It is hard to find a comfortable chair to sit in, a comfortable bed, comfortable shoes, etc. It is simply not part of the paradigm. Some of the people in nearby villages work all day long shoveling rocks into piles. They make just enough money to buy food for their family for the day. For them, survival is success. Anything else is just an extra.
(All of our kitchen utinsils)
Our family is living anything but the “American Dream” here in India. We have no car, no phone, no television, little access to internet, no heat in our home, the food rarely tastes good to us (though there is always enough), we are missing important nutrients in our diet, one of our kids is sick nearly all the time (with coughs, vomiting, ear aches, diarrhea, runny noses, etc.), and all of our clothes combined could fit into about two suitcases.
(Our his/hers closet)
Still, this morning Adrienne and I were saying that we have never been more content. We are not worried about getting “more” because we always have enough and so much of what brings us joy are the relationships that we have with the people here. There is no concept of “the good life” as we know it in America and so no one here seems to be chasing after it with “gusto.” It is truly refreshing. But I am wondering why it is harder to be content in plenty than it is to be content in want."
“God, please teach me what it truly means to be content in any and every situation, to be satisfied in You alone. Also, please help me to live in community rather than in isolation, to truly give myself in service to others, rather than to be consumed with myself, my stories, my needs, my wants, my comfort. Amen.”
“God, please teach me what it truly means to be content in any and every situation, to be satisfied in You alone. Also, please help me to live in community rather than in isolation, to truly give myself in service to others, rather than to be consumed with myself, my stories, my needs, my wants, my comfort. Amen.”
(On a side note about Lent, check out my sister Amanda's blog to see her take on this in India.)
8 comments:
Scott and I have often said that about our early years of marriage. We had nothing but were so content. God has blessed us so much these last 14 years+. Now I feel we have to really work at being content... but really when you have less, you rely on God MORE. Funny how that works:) Thanks for the reminder.
Wow! Very powerful. Once again, more for me to learn. This is one of my struggles. May God continue to open my eyes.
Karin
I feel like I know you guys. My friend Sarae posted your blog on facebook and it made me look. As I see you spent time in Pasadena it made my heart happy. Then to learn you are from Indiana I smiled more. I pray that you are continually blessed by the Lord as you serve Him!
Ade, Jeff, Clay and Emma,
Thank you so much for allowing so many people to follow your journey! What amazing lessons God can teach all of us through you! Thank you for reminding us to be content. I am actually a little envious of you and your journey! Praise the Lord for this opportunity for your family!
Adrienne, thank you for keeping us posted through your blog. I enjoy catching a glimpse of the experiences that you're all having and insights into how those experiences are affecting you. I'm especially looking forward to seeing what effect they'll have in your future undertakings.
In so many ways I long for the simplicity of the culture that you're living in. The opportunity to live subsistently is rare for westerners, and I'm grateful not only that you have the opportunity to live in such a community but are embracing and valuing each and every experience that you're having there. All my love to you Jeff, Adrienne, Clayton, and Emma. You are continually in our hearts, thoughts, and prayers.
Comfort is overrated. But living in small spaces with few things can be done....and I only have four more months of it. Miss you guys!
I have so enjoyed sharing in your fam's journey. It is a wonderful reminder of our contentment or lack of in most cases. Why are we so discontented when we have so much? Thank you for living Proverbs 3:5-6 out for all of us to see bare. Praying for You and for India.
Hey Adrienne, Just wanted to let you know that I have been keeping up with the blog and loving to read of your adventures. We miss ya'll and can't wait to see you again!
Post a Comment