Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Substitute

Last weekend Beulah Mam’s(Clay’s teacher) brother died of tuberculosis. We found out that she would be gone all week and Clay would have a substitute teacher in class. On Monday morning, he cried on the walk to school. As we got to his classroom, I tried to console him. “Clay, I’m sure you’ll have a very nice sub while Beulah is gone.” One of the office workers came over and asked if he was okay. Here’s the conversation that followed:
Me: “Yes, he’s just sad his teacher is not here today.” The conversation took a turn.
Gulabi: “Adrienne, Can you help the assistant teacher with the class today?”
Me: “That’s Sarita, right? She’s actually gone for the week.”
Gulabi: “Oh, can you be the teacher today? And, do you need an assistant?”
Me: “Yes, I could. I’ll ask Jeff to be my assistant!”
So, we ended up subbing for the class of 36 crazy kindergarteners packed in a room with concrete floors so the sound bounces all over. Their desks squeak on the floor each time one moves. They yell “Mam, mam” to get my attention even if I am helping someone else. They hit and chase each other. Not everyone has a pencil, crayons, or an eraser. They speak very little English and only Hindi to each other. We started out with very few lesson plans, so we were just winging it. Since Monday was Groundhog Day in the USA, Jeff took the kids outside and showed them their shadows and talked about what a groundhog is. I ended up subbing in the class the whole week.
Being in this class opened up a window into Clay’s world for us. He has no friends, because the children don’t speak English and he can’t communicate with them. I think he must feel very alone. We’ve just been telling Clay to “buck up” but this helps us to be sensitive to the things that are happening and that this is a major culture shock for him.
My Amy Carmichael quote of the week says: “Let us not be surprised when we have to face difficulties. When the wind blows hard on a tree, the roots stretch and grow stronger. Let it be so with us.” It’s been a pretty “windy” world for Clayton being in India. We are praying that his roots will grow stronger and that he will find God to be near. May that be so for each one of us.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey ade!!!
it is so cool to read about everything that is going on over in india! i know the Lord is using you in mighty ways! i think and pray for you often. i was actually thinking of you the other night b/c my friend was trying to rap and it made me think of DU and when Jeff and donald rapped. haha anyways... i will specifically pray for clay and his adjustment and wisdom for you and jeff to know how to help and support him! love you and miss you! and cant wait for you guys to come back and tell us all about it! embrace where you are at and soak up every moment!!!
love
Jenn Blessing

pammycakes said...

i pray for the kids whenever i think of them...and you two too..and that is often!!

Anonymous said...

Hey sweet sister! I love your devotional quotes - they are such an encouragement. ;) Please give Clayton and Emma a huge hug and tell them how much we love them. I am so thankful for the opportunity you and Jeff had to substitute in Clayton's class. What a blessing for you to see him in that setting and know better how to understand some of his struggles. I will pray, and I believe with all my heart that God will use this experience to give him deeper roots in his faith and trust in God. You may not see the proof right away . . . but it will come. I will also continue to pray for patience and wisdom for you as you lovingly care for your sweet children. :) You are a terrific Mom, Adrienne!
I love you! Praying for you, Melissa

doddyj said...

Jeff, did they even know what a groundhog is? How did you explain that one? :) I would have loved to be one of those students watching you teach last week. You made us laugh a lot on this posting!
On a more sober subject, thanks for letting us peek in on Clay's window too. We'll be praying.

Christine said...

Blessings come in disguise sometimes! God is faithful all the time. I'll be praying for Clayton.

I clicked on your picture to enlarge it and loved to see how animated Jeff's face was as he is reading the story. What a wonderful gift you BOTH are to all these children.

Anonymous said...

Dearest Adrienne,
My favorite part of this picture is the window. I love the Brilliant Light of God's presence. I am reminded that God always sees. And he knew that you and Jeff needed to see too. His "Fatherly" love for you and Jeff and Clay overwhelms me, as He made a way for you to be able to "walk in Clayton's shoes" so to speak. It reminds me too, of the story of Moses being placed in the river, and then his very own mother being able to take care of him for the princess. What a divine appointment you and Jeff experienced. I also loved the way you said "yes", without even hesitating.
On a lighter note, I'm with Jenn..I would have loved to have seen and heard the groundhog lesson by Jeff!! I laughed and cried and laughed and cried at this beautiful post. So many emotions!!! It's my favorite story so far!!
You are beautiful, Adrienne. I love you, and am so thankful to call you my daughter! Mom Rack

Stephanie said...

I can relate somewhat, as our children recently entered Chilean schools for the first time. Our oldest daughter (2nd grade) spoke very little Spanish and was so frightened the first day. One thing she often comments about is the noise and unruliness of her classmates - after several years in American schools, this really makes her uncomfortable!