Friday, February 20, 2009

Dirty Feet Lessons

These precious feet belong to 6 year old Abdula. He runs around in these torn up shoes, playing soccer, cricket, and working... never complaining or asking for more. We’ve learned so much from the keepers of feet like these. For instance …
You can make a game of just about anything. Even if you have NO toys…you can climb trees, throw rocks and see whose went farthest, play tag, run a race, make bows and arrows out of sticks, use rocks as “marbles,” and use sticks to fling tomatoes across the field.
We’ve also learned that you can eat weeds as a snack. I was shocked the other day when Clay and Em were picking and then eating green clover-type weeds with the other boys. Clay said, “Mom, you should try it. It’s really good!” This was coming from the boy who didn’t like to eat salad in the U.S.A.
We’ve learned that in simplicity, there is peace. Conversations can last a long time here. Cell phones don’t interrupt. People walk slowly on the roads because no one is in a hurry. At night there are very few lights, so we see the stars more clearly. When I walk home from tucking in the boys at their homes, I walk by the light of the moon. I am thankful for this slowing down of our pace of life....and this time to be still and know that He is God.

9 comments:

Candy Family said...

I love the dirty feet lessons. Simplicity. Stars. Long conversations. Creating fun with imagination. Peace. I love it!

Anonymous said...

Ade- I just read this post to Josh. Thanks for passing lessons on to us. I'm praying we will think of these feet often.
-Karin

Anonymous said...

I found your blog through Karin's.. and I have to say, I am so excited to watch your journey. What an amazing experience. Jeremy and I love reading your entries and all of the pictures. It has been very humbling for us. I showed some of the pictures to Parker and Colby and they couldn't believe it.

Hope you are doing well. We will be praying for you.. wow, what an abrupt adjustment from Pasadena.

Take Care.. The Greens

Melinda said...

Thank you so much for letting us be a part of what you are learning! Ains and I caught up on the blog today. She looked at all the pictures and enjoyed seeing Emma and Clay. We talked about the lessons you are learning. THANKS!

Ange said...

Beautiful.
I've been following your blog and it has been really touching and inspiring to read. Thanks for making the effort to share your experiences with us all.

Anonymous said...

Adi, I liked the lizard story. Laughed out loud and shared it with my co-workers. Love you.

Austin

Unknown said...

ADE! How amazing it is to read your blog! I miss you guys a ton and I've been thinking about you and praying for you a lot lately. The life you are experiencing is amazing, and I'm sure God is smiling down at Emma clapping at lizards and Clay eating 4 leaf clovers. Just this time last year I was in california with you and clay was crying over not wanting his veggies. LOOK AT GOD! haha miss you guys. Give hugs and love to all!

Jayme said...

Ade, I just love this entry. Scott and I both long for this kind of simple living. The US is so full of unnecessary distractions and excess. Praise God for the invaluable lessons your kids are learning on a daily basis. I hope they bring this simplicity back with them by opting for the kind of play that challenges their imagination and resources. And that they see the stranger in tattered clothes, with one pair of flipflops, and not just pass them by without flinching like we all do from time to time. I love you sister!

Kelly said...

Hope you are having a good week! Your mom comes soon right?? How exciting to be able to 'show' her your life there! Praying for you often and LOVE reading your posts:)