Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Lost Boys

The first thought that came to my mind when I met these boys and watched them play was like the boys from Peter Pan, or The Little Rascals... They look out for each other, laugh much, are always dirty, are creative and silly in their play, make their own bows and arrows, wrestle, have holes in their clothes, climb trees, give piggyback rides, jump on the back of moving vehicles to get a ride down the road, etc. They are precious. They call me "Mam" which sounds like "Mom" with their accent.

Clay, Emma, and I have worked with them in the fields now for two days. I talk with them while we pick weeds. I ask them about their lives, what they want to be when they grow up, how they like life here at the children's home, etc. They smile and don't complain. Clay has picked up on that and has noticed that they have no toys but they're always happy. They also work very hard--two hours in the morning and two in the afternoon. 15-year-old Jai told me yesterday that he has learned so much by living here (how to irrigate a field, plant crops, make food) and knows it will help him as he moves on from here. (I should note here-this is a mostly self-sustaining farm, so the boys grow much of their own food that we eat.) It's "organic" too, I noticed as today we picked weeds. Clay said, "Mom, we should tell them about how we do it in America and spray weedkiller." :)

Emma is often surrounded by about 5-10 boys (see above picture). This morning I laughed as I watched her in the middle of the group, with all eyes on her. She was singing a silly song and making everyone laugh. They told me she looks like a doll. I'm sure she loves all the attention. Clay and Em seem to be adjusting well. I love to watch them run around with the kids, get dirty, and hold the children's hands. One of Em's favorite buddies, 11 year old Nanda, was a doorstep baby. His parents didn't want him and just abandoned him. He has been so kind to her.

I feel like we're in a different world. It's very slow paced here. There are few, if any cell phones, briefcases, computers, Blackberrys, etc. Everything is poverty stricken, with trash lining the streets, monkeys running on the roads, people carrying large loads of straw on their heads, 4 people on a moped, crowded buses, etc. America seems like another planet away from here. We eat a mixture of curry, rice, and chipati (kind of like tortillas) at every meal. The other day Emma said, "What do you think we'll have for dinner tonight?" I laughed out loud.

Thank you for praying for us. My luggage came three days later and arrived all in one piece! I was so thankful for my slippers especially! We know this is exactly where God wants us to be, even if it's hard at times.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Ade, thanks so much for the update.We really didn't expect to see anything on your blog for several days. What a great surprise! Monday morning I asked Mom how she slept. She said, "Fine, but I woke up three or four times in the night and prayed for Jeff, Ade & the kids, then I went right back to sleep." I smiled and said, "That's exactly what I did!" So glad you got your bag. I imagined it being lost "somewhere" for months! Tell Clay and Em we love them and are praying for each of you. Blessings on each of you! Love, Dad Rack

Kelly said...

I laughed out loud a couple of times reading your post:) Especially about the weedkiller. He's his daddy's boy:) Son of a landscaper!! Sounds like you guys are learning so much so fast:) Sounds and looks a lot like the D.R....except they speak english:) Keep posting...I love it!

Christine said...

What a blessing the internet can be! I'm so glad you can keep your blog updated. Praise God that He has answered SO many prayers already...safe travel, your missing bag...and so many others I'm sure! God bless each of you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Adrienne. It's so great to hear about your adventures in India. I'm so glad everyone made it there safely. Your stories are so uplifting and heartwarming, please keep writing! Community group is praying for you, Jeff, Clay and Emma... we were joking that we should call you last Monday (which would have been early Tuesday morning). Thank you for your kindness to us. Although a short time, you and Jeff and even the kids have made such an impact on how we view community and life here in southern California. Blessings to your family, Amanda, and all the little ones there. -The Chos

Anonymous said...

Adrienne,

I love being able to read your blog and learn more about your adventures in India. I am so encouraged by what God is doing through you and your family in India. This is such an amazing experience for Clay and Emma as well! I will keep praying and checking the blog often.

Love you guys,
Lindsay Henson

Anonymous said...

Oh how I love you and thank you for being sensitive to our deep need to hear from you!! Like Kelly, I laughed out loud too, as I read about the weed killer...I laughed and smiled for several hours :) And what a novelty our sweet Emma must be! How is Jeff doing at school? Emma ? Clay ?
I have a trillion questions, of course!
Praying for you, and loving you and missing you like crazy!!
Mom Rack

Anonymous said...

Adrienne, it is so much fun to click on your blog and know what is happening on the other side of the world in India with your sweet family and the precious boys there. I am so thrilled to hear that Clayton and Emma are adjusting well!!!!! :) What a praise! It's so neat to see their pictures with all the boys. It definitely sounds like another world away. Your description really helps me get a picture in my head. We love you all so much and are praying for each of you. Hugs and love to all of you from all of us! Love, Melissa :)

Anonymous said...

Just what Emma needs--more adoring fans... And I am so excited that Clay will be able to weed the garden for us next summer. "Round Clayton Up" sounds so much better than that OTHER brand! Thank you for being an extension of us, a world away. All our love, Mom Lehman

Ange said...

So good to be able to read your blog. Sounds like your time in India is already having a long term impact on you all. Our love to your whole family.
Blessings on you as India reorients your world view forever.
Angela