Saturday, January 24, 2009

An Indian wedding

Last night Jeff and I borrowed clothes from Lavan and Vanita, our Indian neighbors, and went with them and some other volunteers from the orphanage to a wedding reception for an arranged marriage here. Pretty crazy. They're not really supposed to smile because they're supposed to show that they're sad to leave their families... There was lots of food and pretty loud Indian music and a dancer to entertain everyone. I felt like I was an actor on a movie set with my saree, etc. It sometimes doesn't even feel real to be here! A great experience though.

Aunt Amanda babysat the kids so we could go on our "date." She made hot chocolate with them and had fun at home. This morning they told me with glee that they got to have hot chocolate. It's funny that something so small would be so huge to them now. They get very little "extras" here, so this was huge to them. I am thankful for how they are already learning to appreciate the small things.

2 comments:

Jayme said...

How exciting and fascinating! I always wondered why they didn't smile...

Anonymous said...

Wow - Cool! Krista