I have found that my new favorite time of the day is night. I tucked some of the boys in to bed the other night and sang them a lullaby that Kathryn Lino sang to us at night on Wilderness trips. Amanda has sung it to them many times, so they always ask for it. It goes:
“Goodnight boys, sleep tight boys, Jesus keeps your dreams. For the God above is a God of love so little boys sleep in peace. And if you ever wake up in the middle of the night, remember God is watching you and everything is alright.” I had to try to not cry right in front of them as I sang. I kept thinking that here are these sweet boys in their hard bunks (with no pillows even!), and there is no mom or dad to tuck them in, talk about their day, see their papers from school, etc. They are hungry for attention and love. Then one of them asked me if I knew the song: “Jesus, Jesus loves (insert name) yes, He does.” They were surprised to know I knew that one too, because it is one our mom sang to us when we were little. The boys got a big smile on their faces and some hid under the covers when I said their name in the song.
“Goodnight boys, sleep tight boys, Jesus keeps your dreams. For the God above is a God of love so little boys sleep in peace. And if you ever wake up in the middle of the night, remember God is watching you and everything is alright.” I had to try to not cry right in front of them as I sang. I kept thinking that here are these sweet boys in their hard bunks (with no pillows even!), and there is no mom or dad to tuck them in, talk about their day, see their papers from school, etc. They are hungry for attention and love. Then one of them asked me if I knew the song: “Jesus, Jesus loves (insert name) yes, He does.” They were surprised to know I knew that one too, because it is one our mom sang to us when we were little. The boys got a big smile on their faces and some hid under the covers when I said their name in the song.
I’m at an internet cafĂ©, and will try to come here every weekend. It’s about a 35 minute walk from where we live. This will be a long blog post because I have a lot of random stuff…
Every afternoon when Kindergarten is over, there are 4 boys who have been on their own in the past until all the boys are out of school. Amanda suggested that I do some creative things with them and let them come over and play, so I am going to have a little playgroup at our house each day for them. Friday was our first time. We played cars, read books, and got out the game Jenga. At the end, they said, “We come again on Monday?” “Yes, Monday.” (Big smiles all around.)
Clayton is having the hardest time of us all adjusting to life here. He asks every day if we can go back to Elkhart. We're trying to work on his attitude, eating spicy foods, remembering Hindi names, starting school, etc. He was vomiting last week and now today it was the other end... It's hard to find the balance between patience and also just making him do the tough thing. He asks lots of questions like, "Why is India so dirty?" "Why are they so poor here?" I'm sure his little mind is having a tough time comprehending this new world here. I know it will be great once he gets over the hump!
Some questions we've been asked: TRAVEL--our trip over went very smoothly, considering the length of it. The flights went great because there were movies, lots of snacks, etc. SCHOOL--Jeff is just teaching one class each morning to 7th and 8th graders. In the afternoons, he makes chipoti for awhile with the high school boys, then plays volleyball with them. He does devotions with them at 7 and then dinner is at 7:30. Then we help with homework and put kids to bed.
I am going to be with Emma in one of the Kindergarten classes now. We went the first day to preschool, but unfortunately none of the kids spoke any English, and the teachers did 90% in Hindi, so we were not very involved. It will probably work much better for us to be at the school with the older children where more English is spoken.
Today marks one week that we've been here. We are finally sleeping at night and awake during the day. We're learning to eat the food with only our hands, like the Indians do. Imagine eating rice and curry soup with only your hand. It feels so strange! I am reminding myself how valuable this experience is and will be for our family...to live in poverty, but to still be filled and happy. These people have taught us so much.
Today marks one week that we've been here. We are finally sleeping at night and awake during the day. We're learning to eat the food with only our hands, like the Indians do. Imagine eating rice and curry soup with only your hand. It feels so strange! I am reminding myself how valuable this experience is and will be for our family...to live in poverty, but to still be filled and happy. These people have taught us so much.
14 comments:
I can hardly put into words the emotions that come from reading your posts... Remember when I couldn't stop the tears your first day home with Clayton in May of '03? I remember saying, "He doesn't even KNOW how lucky he is!" Two loving parents creating a foundation of faith and stability, caring and involved grandparents, prosperity and freedom, etc. So today I couldn't help but think how fortunate your "India Boys" are to have all of you there. We will be forever changed, and we couldn't be more proud of you. ~Mom Lehman
Wow Ade. Thanks for posting. My heart is breaking for Clay and you guys as you seek for wisdom in helping him adjust. It must be hard to find the balance he needs! Your mom is right in that you are changing the lives of your "new" boys! God will bless you for that!
You are not missing much here. Neg. 19 temps and even worse wind chill! I feel like a hermit in my own home! Miss you and can't wait to hear from you each week!
Last night Scott said out of nowhere, wow, I can't believe Jeff is in India. It IS very strange to think about how far away you are because of the closeness of heart we share with you. I'm grateful to have your blog and to hear you sharing such vulnerable or intimate moments that we would otherwise never know about.
It is beautiful to watch you being stretched in a really critical stage of your own parenting journey. Clay will come around quickly--that's what is so great about kids: they are usually more resilient than adults...and he will be forever changed because of it. (I love that you get to connect with the boys in song!) Suprised to hear how quickly you fell into a routine...can't wait for next week's update. Love you guys!
I love and miss you guys! It is reassuring knowing you are where God wants you to be. My prayer is for a speedy adjustment for Clay. This will be so amazing for him. The man he will be after this will bring so much glory to God! Tell Emma and Clay that Ainsley sends hugs and kisses! We do too! Melinda
Ade, thank you again so much for sharing with all of us. My emotions are at a huge peak today....I think we'll plan to eat something goopy with our fingers in Clay and Emma's honor tonite for dinner!!! We sure are praying for Clayton - so much like his Daddy at that age. I knew it would be difficult for him...I also know that he will be victorious...eventually. I am praying for ALL of you with regard to his adjustment. It's all part of the journey, and I have great confidence in his mother and father AND in our Heavenly Father!!! Be blessed today, and know we are praying like crazy!!
I love you, Ade! Mom Rack
Adrianne...We are praying for you all, especially Clayton. God has really placed you on our hearts.
May the Lord fill your days with little blessings.
To the whole family:
WOW!!! Aderienne, thank you for posting what you are seeing and what you are learning, and even what is hard. I am already richer in understanding of a new place. A quote I read today is that in America we are so self-gratifying that we don't know what is happening in 98% of the world. You as a family are going to have such a better understanding of true poverty and joy in the midst of that..and your testimonies are leading me in understanding as well. Ade, I teared up with you in thinking about these boys with nothing; it hard to not place your children's face in that scenario! The tenderness you bring as a mom will be so beautiful.
Clay and Emma, you are both being examples to my kids. After your mom's last post, I told them about what you had to eat at every meal. Thank you for helping them be grateful for what they have. Remember you two are mighty warriors for the Lord and..."The Lord is with you mighty warrior." Judges 6:12.
Continue to let us know specific ways we can pray for your family. And from personal experience...give Clay a month. My guess is you will see a great difference after that.
Keep posting...and we will keep praying!
Adi,
We loved reading your stories. Those are special moments with the boys, and it's neat that Jeff is getting to work alongside of them. We also are praying for Clayton as we send this, that God will strengthen him and use this to grow him into a godly, resilient young man. What a neat experience for your family! We love you.
Austin and Kristina
Adrianne,
Thanks so much for sharing what God is doing in your lives and in India. I know that the adjustment can be difficult, especially for the children, but they will adjust and your time there will be amazing. I have no doubt that when I read your post when you are leaving India, Clay will be wanting to stay. DJ and I were in Africa when I found out that I was pregnant with Eli. We were only there a couple of weeks, but chipati was our staple as well. Blessings to you guys! You are in our prayers.
Thanks for your obedience. This 6 months will pass quickly but they will last beyond your lifetime. Thanks for the details and emotions. Our love to the family!!
yay for Kathryn's song! It'll live on forever...I sing it to Natalie occasionally. Amazing how a song can impact you so much. We continue to pray for you guys. Keep doing what you know is right.
jeff & ade,
just found this and the pictures made me want to cry. i miss it SO much. i pray you love every moment and love the memories of your "former life," too. they can seem so disconnected, but God is using both to make you who you are and lead you on to great things!
~amanda harris
It is a great encouragement to me to hear how you are using your gifts to impact the boys and people in India. God has preped you both for such a time as this.
I am praying for your family.
Jeff, dont let the boys toe the ball and teach them the word "Dousey"
love ya, Jonesy
I'm just now catching up on your blog entries. I didn't know your blog address before. Makes me wish i was serving there with you guys. What an incredible experience. May the Lord continue to bless you in this time of growth and devotion to His people.
Post a Comment