Saturday, January 24, 2009

A day in the life...

3 a.m. Emma wakes coughing (like a seal). Ade fumbles for light switch, turns on one, but no electricity. Find candle and light a match. Get Vix Vapor Rub for her. Sigh of relief that we thought to bring that. Boil water to fill up hot water bottle for her chest. Blow out candle. Back to sleep.
7 a.m. Wake up. Must wash hair. Jeff says Ade is growing dreds. Jeff fills hot water heater with cold water. Plug in and wait. Aha. Still no electricity. Cold water only. Decide hairwashing is not necessary. Maybe dreds are not so bad after all...
9 a.m. Jeff tries to use laptop. Battery is dead and he can't plug in because still no electricity. Computer is not necessary. Use pen and paper.
A few days later... Jeff runs 2 miles to town to use internet. Find out again electricity is out, so no internet. Run home 2 more miles.
(Our electricity comes on and off as it wishes. We never know when or where we'll be...even in the internet cafe this happens! We have come to not rely much on electricity...) Sorry there are no pictures for this post. Scroll down for more pictures and stories of the latest.

One more thing--CAPTURED LIZARD COUNT= 3. (One jumped at me from out of a closet, one was sitting on our kitchen window, and one was perched on our bathroom wall. Jeff is my new hero for retrieving these little friends and taking them outside our home!)

14 comments:

Christine said...

Adrienne,
Not a day goes by that I don't think of you and pray for you. I was just sharing with some friends last night about what you are doing and about "the lost boys". Please know that you are being prayed for everyday.
btw, are you a camper? This post about electricity reminded me of camping...and how when we go camping and "live rough" for a few days, at least we still have electricity nearby that we can count on! Living it rough and appreciating all that you have....yep sounds like you're camping! ;) oh, but it's so much bigger. Thanks for what you're doing. xo

Carrie said...

We're praying for you Ade! What an incredible learning adventure! What a leap of faith! Thank you for updating! I love to read them!

Anonymous said...

Ade. I devour your blog entries and never want your stories to end. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! Saturday morning has become a much anticipated event, as we scurry down to our computers to see if there's an entry from you or an e-mail from Jeff. I am so greatful for this rich blessing.
Always praying for you, and loving you, Mom Rack

Anonymous said...

Jeff is MY hero, too, right next to your father. David captures and disposes of mice for me. What a guy!
Love always,
Mom Lehman

Anonymous said...

It is great to hear what you are doing. What a great chance for the kids and you to see the world through a ompletely different world view!! I know that it is an awesome time for kids. Take note of the things they say and do. Just wanted to let you know that we are pryaig for your family Jeff.

Anonymous said...

Adrienne,

Thank you for sharing all of your stories with us!! We love reading about all your adventures. We are praying often for you, Jeff, and the kids. Josh is still a bit in disbelief that you guys aren't in Pasadena anymore. But he prays for the Clayton and Emma in India almost every night. We miss you guys. Keep writing!!

Danielle Farquhar

Anonymous said...

Oh, wow. You guys, this is really something. We told Kaitlin and Jordan that they kids sleep on wood w/out a pillow - and they were dismayed. Now almost every prayer includes a thank you for my BED and my blanket and my warm house (and a pillow)!!! Jordan every nights tells me he loves me all the way to (fill in the blank)... Some nights he loves me all the way to INDIA where Clayton and Emma live! I want to see pics of the dreds, Girl! ;) Hope Emma is feeling better? Will pray! Love, Krista P.S. I am PROUD of you!

Anonymous said...

your posts make me cry - in a good way. thanks for giving us over here glimpses of life over there. i am so proud of you. and praising God for you and amanda too! blessings on all the boys you live with! i know they must love you so much already!
jenni

Anonymous said...

Adreinne,
My name is Esperanza (Hope) & though we have never met, I have heard fantastic stories of you & your precious family through AJ (Amanda) over the last five years. I spoke with your mom today & she told me of your blog & I have been swallowed by your simple realness. I am only half way through but find it fantastic.
You & your husband are such wonderful examples of the body of Jesus. (As your beautiful sister has also already exhibited.) I have found my new Saturday morning read & look forward to finish what I have left unread. I am persuaded & challenged by your ambition to expose your children to such a different concept of life. It's value will be seen in eternity.
Cheers,
Esperanza (Hope)

Terri said...

hey guys--how we look forward to your updates. I am so humbled each time I read these--we get so bent out of shape if things are tight and we can't eat out after church on Sunday lol. You bring us back to reality and we need that. Thank you for your dedication to this mission, lizards and all, and know that you are in our thoughts and prayers.

Looking forward to your next entry...

Tim, Terri, TJ

Anonymous said...

Love reading the updates. Miss you, love you, and praying for you :)
~Elizabeth Crep

Anonymous said...

Dear Ade, What a DAY! Thank you for telling us like it is! I am so excited to hear that Clayton is enjoying school and has such a precious teacher! What an incredible blessing!! The picture of him with Beulah Mam is so sweet - and he looks especially tall!! :) We are all praying for you everyday and our life group is praying for you as well. I miss hearing your sweet voice on the phone . . . but I sure am thankful for the internet!!! ;) Please give the kids big hugs from all 6 of us. Lots of love and prayers, Melissa

doddyj said...

Ade, how big are the lizards? Will you capture one on camera for us? You are so brave. :)
We are incredibly thankful for your willingness to be such an amazing example of Christ's love. You motivate us to do something worthwhile for Him. When you grow discouraged, please remember that you are impacting so many lives through your actions.

Candy said...

We are praying for you all. I'm so so glad that Clayton has a nice teacher....what a blessing. We will continue to earnestly pray for you.
Your Tenenbre partners,
The Muhmes