Sunday, January 11, 2009

We're Here!

After 40 hours of travel through cars, planes, trains, buses, and a wild taxi ride....we made it to Selaqui to the children's home.
Here's Emma, Aunt Amanda, and Jeff having a "tea party" on the train. Emma is loving that they have so much tea out here. She remarked to me yesterday, "I got to have three tea parties today!"

When we arrived, we unloaded our suitcases and went out to meet the boys. When they saw us coming, they ran and climbed trees! I got a little teary just walking out to see them because we've seen their pictures and prayed for them for months now...and here we were. I kind of felt like I was walking in a dream. They gave us a tour of the grounds and showed us their fields where they plant crops, their homes where they sleep, the cows where they get their milk, and the sugar cane that they snack on. They are sweet boys, a bit mischeveous, with big smiles and welcoming hearts.

I'm going to try to be honest in my postings while here in India. Two sad moments were that my bag never made it from Chicago and that Clay woke up throwing up this morning. Ugh. I'm sure it will take a little while to get adjusted to Indian life...the food, the time change, the bucket baths, the lizards that live in our house, the cows in the streets, the poverty... but we have so much to be thankful for. This morning while I sat at home with my sick boy, I got teary hearing the boys sing loudly "Be to our God forever and ever" with the sounds of the bongo drums echoing across the camp. Their hearts are precious and they still worship the same God we do. We have so much to learn from them.

11 comments:

Kelly said...

YEAH!! I am so glad you made it! I have been praying and wondering where and how you were. Thank you for being honest! I need to hear those things so I know EXACTLY how to pray:) I am home this morning from church with Davis who had a fever in the night. So we will pray for Clayton as well...that he'll feel better soon. I love you and admire you for so many reasons! Keep serving the Lord and listening to HIM. I know He is going to use you in a mighty way!

Candy said...

Adrianne,
Your family has been on my heart a lot lately. We've been praying for you and prayed for you esp. on Thursday when you travelled. We will be praying that Clayton feels better soon and that you all have great health while in India.
I was sorry to hear about your bag.
May the Lord bless your family during this time.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Adrienne, I am impressed that you have posted pics. already. Your bag will come; I know you put addresses in each of the suitcases; it's just an exercise in patience. Val was here yesterday and basically told us that she was sick 2 out of the 3 weeks she was in India. Amanda omitted THAT detail. :-) Thanks for not being ALL rosy! But we will pray that the adjustments to food and schedule go quickly so that you can fully enjoy these 5 months. Love you, Mom

pammycakes said...

your precious adrienne......"all things work together for good, to them that love God......i'm sure your realizing nothing in that bag was of big importance compared to what you see! i'm praying for clay....that indian curry can make anyone sick...hahahahha

Susanna said...

Thank you, God, for bringing our dear friends safely to their destination! Please give them an extra measure of strength and grace right now as they adjust to so many new things. Help Clayton to be selfish with his germs. And thank you for the blessing of tea parties!

Adrienne, thanks for your honesty. Dan just asked me how much you'd be able to blog, so I was excited to see your post! We've been praying for you a lot, and will continue to do so!

Anonymous said...

Hi Ade, We loved seeing your blog today! Thank you so much for your honesty. We desperately want to pray effectively for each one of you. We are hungry to know how. As I write this, I believe that a new day is beginning for you. My prayers are for school today and all that that will entail for each of you. Please give everyone a Mom and Grama and Grampa hug. We love you enormously!
Today was Great Gramps 80th birthday party - very special!!
I LOVE YOU! Mom Rack

Krista Burden said...

YEA!!! You are THERE!!! sigh... I am anxious to hear how the traveling part went. Just as you hoped it would - or was it really rough? I am so sorry Clay got sick when you arrived. How's he doing today? I will be praying that it doesn't pass through the family, BUT if it does that He will give you His grace and endurance. Well, today "school" would have started for Clay. I am assuming he stayed home? How are you all doing with the sleep/time? Sorry I am asking so many questions! I don't want to overwhelm you. I love you and am so proud of you! God is at work and it is so cool to see him using precious friends like you! We are praying!!! xoxo, Krista

Anonymous said...

Dearest Adrienne,

My heart is overwhelmed and tears are falling as I read your blog and see the pictures . . . so much to be thankful for, so much to learn, so much love to give, such a great God to serve and to trust. He is so faithful to take you there safely and I know His hand is on each one of you as you adjust to life in India. Thank you for your honesty - we truly want to know exactly how to pray and that helps so much! We think of you so often and count ahead 10 1/2 hours so we can know where you are in your day. :) Right now we are in the middle of our school day and we know you are all getting ready for bed. :) We love you bunches!!!! Please give the kids huge hugs from us and tell them we're praying for them every day! Love you, Melissa

Anonymous said...

Jeff and Adrianne, It is so great to hear that you made it there. Sorry to hear about you bags. You are in my prays daily and I know you will change alot of lives over there, you changed mine. You are such a blessing and I know God will use you greatly. with all God love and mine, take care, Joe Dregits

Jayme said...

Hello! My heart was beating fast as you described your first hours at Selaqui--the fields, their beds, the cows--it must have been so surreal. Can't wait to hear if Clay is better and to hear about school and how the boys are warming up to you and Jeff. p.s. house lizards are the coolest, you'll see :o)

doddyj said...

Wow, wow, wow. We're SO jealous! That's so cool to know that you are exactly where God wants you to be at this very moment. Way to have the guts to do something that not everyone would be willing to do. Stay the course - you are an inspiration to us. Love you guys!