Scared to go back to the United States. That is how I’m feeling right now, to be quite honest. We’ve experienced so much, cried on several occasions, heard the stories of these orphans we live with, seen many types of injustice, and yet now . . . how now do we live? How do we raise our children to be thankful for what they have in America, the land of plenty? Will they remember sitting on the concrete floor with these little guys and being happy with just rice and dahl?
How do we cry out for those who cannot cry out for themselves? How do we live on less so we can give more in America, the land of luxury? How do we begin to say “enough” and not just buy and buy and consume and consume? How do we remember others and not just think of ourselves?
I remember the song we heard before we came. The words by Sara Groves are so appropriate for me now:
I saw what I saw and I can't forget it
I heard what I heard and I can't go back
I know what I know and I can't deny it
Something on the road, cut me to the soul
Your pain has changed me
your dream inspires
your face a memory
your hope a fire
your courage asks me what I'm afraid of
and what I know of love
In The Return of the King, Frodo asks, “How do you pick up the threads of an old life? How do you go on, when in your heart, you begin to understand, there is no going back? And then he explains, “There are some things that time cannot mend. Some hurts that go too deep…they have taken hold.”
God, would You do a miracle for our family? Would You cause us to remember what we have seen and heard and then go and do something about it? Would You prick our hearts to be sensitive to the poor, the suffering and those around us? With time, it always seems like our pain is dulled and the sting loses it’s hurt. Would You (as Melissa Moore put it), “keep the emotional wounds that were carved during the past few weeks from healing?”
May time not have it’s way with us . . . just this once.
10 comments:
My heart cries out with yours, dear Adrienne...and cries and cries, and cries.
I am praying this prayer over you - "I thank my God every time I remember you, Jeff, and Adrienne, Clayton and Emma. In all my prayers for each one of you, I always pray with joy because of your devotion to Jesus, and your passion to partner with Him, WHEREVER He calls you to go to pour out His love. And I am confident of this, that He, who began a beautiful work in each of your hearts in India, will carry it on to completion until you see Him face to face. It is right for me to feel this way about the four of you because I have you engraved so deeply in my heart. God can testify how I long for all of you with the affection He has placed within me.
And my prayer continues: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is BEST, and may be pure and blameless, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus - to the glory and praise of God." Phil. 1:3-11
I love you deeply, Ade, and I will never be able to thank you enough for allowing me to "be with you" as you blogged "The Reichanadter Journey". See you on Wednesday!!
Mom Rack
Thank you for helping us to understand what you are going through now. You have an amazing perspective on it, and I believe God will answer your prayers so that this trip will forever change you and your family! We are praying for you as you travel and transition!!!
Go with confidence that He is with you even now as you re-enter the land of plenty. Know with confidence that He will use the past to carve your future. We can not even imagine what great purpose He has for you and for your children and your children's children.
Eph 3:20-21
Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.
He comes WITH YOU. What a promise! Praying for you and yours as the journey continues!
i love you guys so much and cannot wait to see you again, and see where God takes you now! I am awed & humbled by what He has done in you & for you. I read the comments of many friends and family on this blog, and realize that your journey to India changed us too, as your return to & evaluation of life in the states will.
Much love & prayers as you embrace the grief of leaving & the joy of return, the relief (& guilt?) of plenty & the remembrance of need. Would that we would continue to participate with you in this too, and be moved to act in our worlds. I love your words about wounds that should not heal. As He was faithful to cut into your hearts in India, He will be faithful to keep that work alive in you in America.
Godspeed, my precious friends!
From someone who has been there and can understand what you are feeling, I will be praying for you.
Please come and visit when you just need to talk or cry or be homesick. Our home is open! I will even make you some chai or mango lassi if you wish.
Joyce
thinking of you..........you must be "home" today........what a journey these last months have been for your family.
i do hope you didn't mind me peeking in!
i think of those children and how they were pleased with so little. they are all just darling! would be very hard to leave them so far away.
welcome home,
kara
Bless you guys as you return to America. I have never forgotten or let go of the things God showed me during my year in India, we'll be praying the same for you guys.May you be a blessing to all those you return to.
much love
anna, rich, josiah and esther xxx
We pray for you often!!!
The Muhmes
Hello, I came to your blog through Amanda's and wanted you to know I have read many of your posts, seen the pictures you've taken and been moved by both. Thank you for your willingness to be 'broken' by what you have witnessed and be open to how God might use that in your life to come. I will pray for your family and for the lives of the young children you have impacted in India too.
May God bless your desire to serve Him fully. I've bookmarked your blog and will continue to read and to pray. Love and prayers... Sweetly~ Jody Ferlaak
How crazy that I have found your blog as you are reuniting with family and friends back in the land of plenty. How even crazier that just today I was reading my friend's blog which led me to yours and to discover that I KNOW you! Adrienne, thank you for sharing your heart. I know your heart's cry to not be the same and the danger in returning. I pray for you tonight that God will reveal to you and Jeff the next step. Love, Danielle Black
Post a Comment