Wednesday, May 6, 2009

School friends


These are Emma’s little friends in the KG class at school. Yashita and Shrishti. Yashita’s mother puts on black eyeliner around her eyes every day. This is because their family is Hindu and believe that the dark will scare away evil spirits. There are many young children who have dark eyeliner like Yashita’s. It is a constant reminder to me of the spiritual darkness of this place.

I lead music times in the preschool and KG class and recently I led them in the simple song:

“Touch your finger to your nose, bend at the waist way down and touch your toes, and when you come up slowly start to sing, and say to the Lord I love You. I love You, I love You, say to the Lord I love You.”

As I tried to end the song, these kids kept singing and raising their hands. It was like they were leading me in worship. I looked at their dark eyes and thought about the families they come from and the spiritual oppression here. Yet, all of these little Hindu kids were raising their hands and singing sweetly to Jesus . . . I pray that the words would take root in their hearts.

No comments: