Friday, May 29, 2009

Out on the town

We’ve been houseparents for 8 little boys during the past two weeks. Today we went out as a family for ice cream in the “big town” of Selaqui. The boys were giddy about riding in the Trax. Most of them have not ridden in a vehicle or left the children’s home in 6 months, because even their school is on this campus.

When I told them we were ready to go, there was much hustle and bustle. Even a few of the littlest ones slicked their hair with oil and all the boys put on their Sunday-go-to-meeting clothes for the big event.

As we got out of the Jeep, 11-year-old Anshuman took charge. “I think we should hold hands with the small boys, Mam.” So each boy held another boy's hand as we walked. Our first stop was the fruit vendor, where we bought bananas. The boys love these, and almost never get fresh fruit, so this was quite a treat. We did get quite a few stares, and I told the man, “These are all my children.” He just smiled.

Then we went to a little Indian sweet shoppe, where we let each child pick out a treat. Ashish wanted biscuits, Emma got a piece of cake, others got ice cream, and we all shared two mango drinks. Yum! The boys thanked us over and over for taking them. On the bumpy ride home, Jeff led them in songs like “This is the song that never ends.” They were laughing and we were having a ball.

I have found myself getting almost moved to tears on several occasions today, knowing that these are the last of our days here…riding in the trax, reading stories to the boys, holding their hands as we walked down the road, seeing their sheer delight as they got their very own ice cream…these are the moments I will miss. These are the little boys who have stolen our hearts.

8 comments:

kelly hochstetter said...

I miss them!!! They all look so fancy in their little outfits. I guess they were good because they were able to go into town. I hope that the water came back on. I was reading in the newspaper that it is over a hundred degrees there. Jealous, it has been cold here. But I know when I was there I was dying for it to be colder. Sorry all over the place. Have a safe trip home.

Anonymous said...

Oh, my, SO SWEET; I am tearing up as I write. You will leave a piece of your heart there. I know I did. Twelve in the Jeep that seats, maybe 5, right? And here I am thinking about how I'm gonna' get your car seats to Carl and Lori for that USA-safe trip home from O'Hare!
Love,
Mom Lehman

Christine said...

I am praying for you as you begin this difficult process. Saying goodbye to ones who have become so dear will not be easy. But know with confidence that God has done a good work--in you and your family and in these sweet boys. He will carry on what you've help to grow. I've been blessed by your journey, Adrienne, and I only sit and read from a computer screen. How great is our God!

Amanda Seibert said...

Aww, I miss those boys! So glad you guys are taking care of them and making their last days before going home so special.

Sure you don't want to come back to India in August? :-)

Hyser Family said...

I will miss these posts from India! I've enjoyed reading each and every one of them. I've begun praying for the transition!

Anonymous said...

You are my heroes, and definitely their heroes!!! Each one of you are in my prayers as you prepare to say good-bye! What does Amanda say?..."Don't cry because its over....smile because it happened".
I know Jesus is smiling!
I love you all! Mom and Grama Rack

Candy Family said...

Ade- Your friend Christine expressed it so well. We are praying for you, for the boys and for the work God has done and will continue to do. He has used you and we've all been blessed in hearing about this journey. To Him be the glory.

Jayme said...

Hi Ade! Forgive me for falling off the blogging radar the last couple of months. I just haven't spent any time on the computer or any time thinking about blogging. I'll get back on the horse now that school is over. But I've enjoyed catching up on your blog--such great entries as always.

You and Jeff and the kids come to my mind often as you wrap up your time there. My heart aches for you all as you have to say good bye to such love-filled faces--they contain a world of wisdom, don't they? You will be in our prayers as you pack and start the long journey home in just a few days. We love you so much and can't wait for the day when we get to see you again!