Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Dream Come True

Our second trip to the Himalayas was one of the greatest experiences of my life! One day three of us took a hike up to a point above the tree line. From here we could see peaks that towered over 20,000 ft. high.

Later that night Jai (pictured below) said, “It was so beautiful that if we hiked any further, I thought we would see the face of God.”

In many ways, we did see God this week … He healed us of our sicknesses, gave us strength for the journey, revealed His beauty through the mountains, the snow, the rivers, the stars, the trees, and the people, and He touched our hearts with the power of his presence. One of the boys wrote a thank you note to the Storehouse Trust (a group that financially sponsored our trek). This is an excerpt from his letter:

“My dream was to go and see the snow peaked mountains in my own country and I got that opportunity. You really helped me to get one of my biggest dreams to come true. I was really thirsty for God, and at the end … my thirst is quenched and my relationship with God has become much stronger. Thank you!”

In spite of hiking about 70 kilometers in five days, we also spent a lot of personal time with God. On the last night, several of the guys talked about how good it had been for their souls to spend time with God. Here, in the shadow of the Himalayas, a group of orphan boys were making commitments to read their Bibles, pray, and serve other people. The beauty of our physical surroundings was astonishing, but what gripped my heart most tightly was to hear that these young men were longing for intimacy with the Creator of all of these things … and that these longings … these dreams … were coming true.

One morning as I watched the sun come up over the peaks that had been dusted with snow the night before, the words of Casting Crown’s song, “Who Am I?” came to mind:

Who am I? That the eyes that see my sin, would look on me with love and watch me rise again.
Who am I? That the voice that calmed the sea,
would call out through the rain and calm the storm in me.

Not because of who I am, but because of what you've done.
Not because of what I've done, but because of who you are.

I am a flower quickly fading, here today and gone tomorrow,
A wave tossed in the ocean, a vapor in the wind.
Still you hear me when I'm calling, Lord, you catch me when I'm falling,
And You've told me who I am.
I am Yours.

May we remember today who we are and Whose we are … and may our dreams come true as our desires become His desires!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Yes, Lord, yes, Lord, yes,yes, Lord!! Yes,Lord, yes Lord, yes, yes, Lord, AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOO-HOO!!!!! How AWESOME is our God!!!!! How exciting to be a part of something so moving, and life changing, through the power of love and prayer!!

I can hardly wait to see you all, and juat listen to your stories for days and weeks and months...that will be a dream come true too!!!

The prayers continue!!!
Love you with all my heart,
Mom Rack

kelly hochstetter said...

The pictures look beautiful! The boys for some reason look really young in the pictures. I miss them all and you guys too.
heart,
kelly

Amanda Seibert said...

Wow, I'm so happy you guys had such a great trip! LOVE the smile on Jai and Naringin's faces. What an awesome memory for them.
Love you guys! See you soon!

Anonymous said...

Breath-taking pictures, Jeff! And Jai's face is worth more than words. Hard to believe I was helping him tune his guitar 2 short months (and a lifetime) ago. What an incredible opportunity you've taken advantage of, to create a lifetime memory for 20 very special boys. Indelible!
Love you,
Mom Lehman

Jayme said...

Adrienne, this is such a powerful entry. I love the joy on their faces, and who couldn't be moved by such mountain splendor? We are nothing, but He made Himself nothing to make us His own. I like how you said may our dreams come true AS OUR DESIRES BECOME HIS. Thank you sister for your poignancy, obedience and tender heart.

Cash said...

Very cool. Looking fwd to catching up with you guys soon!