Sunday, February 3, 2008

Little House on the Prairie

We've been reading the classic Little House series with Clayton and he's amazed at the adventures of that family! There's always the danger of wolves, a house to build, butter to churn, or a river to cross. I love the simplicity of their life and the way they found joy in the little things. I recently found a kit to make a covered wagon (Michael's for $1), so that was our project to do while Emma napped.
Clay set up Em's horses to pull the wagon and even Jack the dog is out front.
"In the wagon Laura and Mary said their prayers and crawled into their little bed. Ma kissed them good night. Far away on the prairie the wolves howled, and under the wagon Jack growled low in his chest. In the wagon everything was safe and snug. Thickly in front of the open wagon-top hung the large, glittering stars. Pa could reach them, Laura thought. She wished he would pick the largest one from the thread on which it hung from the sky, and give it to her."

8 comments:

Christine said...

I love this, Adrienne. I wonder if our Michael's carries them. I would love to do this with the girls.

NotSuchACityGirl said...

I loved those books and always wanted to live in that time period. Sounds like it was a fun thing.

Christine said...

Thanks for your sweet offer! Before you go to the trouble, I'll look here in town and find out if they carry them. I'll try to go this week and let you know! Thank you, thank you!

jeny said...

Little House is Noah's absolute favorite. Bronwen is starting to get into it now too. What a fun project!

The Holdens said...

I envy your creativity! To answer your question, I think that i'm going to make chocolate cupcakes with buttercream frosting. Hopefully they turn out yummy.

Susanna said...

I love it! I already had Dan go to Michael's today to get some for us to do! Keep the great ideas coming. :) We're in Chap. 5 of Little House on the Prairie.

Amie said...

What a cute project!

Anonymous said...

Clay, That's the best looking covered wagon I've ever seen! Good job, buddy!
Granpa Rack