Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Nightstand

Clay got an idea about a month ago. "Mom, I really would like to have a nightstand by my bed, just like Dad does. I would want it to have two drawers, one for my socks and one for my underwear."

Me: "Okay, buddy. I bet I could find one at Goodwill or a garage sale and we could paint it."

Clay: "Well, I was really thinking I could make it with Grandpa Dave."

Those words took this project to a whole new level. Grandpa Dave makes heirloom furniture, the kind that has been featured in Fine Woodworking magazine, not the kind you buy at a garage sale for five bucks.

So Grandpa Dave showed Clayton the process of making a piece of furniture, from start to finish. First he told Clay, the idea has to go from your head to a piece of paper. He had Clay draw out what he was thinking (below on the right). Then they figured the dimensions, picked out the cherry wood, and got to work. Clayton spent a few days there working with Grandpa in the shop last week.

Below shows how Dad doesn't just stick things together with nails, but uses intricate detailing with a mortise and tenon joint. I love their smiles here. And then, they finished with a few coats of polyurethane. They put in lots of hours and created a beautiful piece of art, with a wonderful story to go with it. Thanks Grandpa Dave, for making Clay's dream come true!

I checked, and yes, he already has his socks in one drawer and his underwear in another, just like Daddy does it.

8 comments:

Jan Lehman said...

What a great post, Adrienne. I don't know who is luckier, Clay for having a Grandpa who can make his "magic drawing board" drawing come to life, or David, who now has a grandson that loves woodworking. (Or maybe ME who gets to be related to both of them?!)
I sure love all of you!
Mom

Anonymous said...

Clay, it's so AWESOME!! I'm so proud of you and Grampa Dave. You sure are learning how to do lots of cool things with your Grampas, your Uncle Scott and your Daddy! You are sooooo blessed!!!
I sure loved being with you last week-end in Nashville!!!
Thanks for letting us have the kids for the week-end, Ade :)
Grama and Mom Rack

Candy Family said...

He is blessed. How special to build something start to finish and to get to do it with your Grampa! I love it! The finished product is great! Way to go Clayton.

Carrie said...

LOVE IT! So cute! I never knew your dad built furniture! Awesome memory for Clay!

Amanda Seibert said...

wow, looks great. way to go, clay and grandpa! :-)

Susanna said...

Wow - I don't know which is more beautiful - the nightstand, or the precious grandpa/grandson memory that was made in the building of it!

Diane said...

What a beautiful night stand that Clay and his Grampa Dave made together! What a sweet memory was made for them both!

Anonymous said...

WOOOOOW!!!!!!!