Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Chow Mein and Tin Plates

The other night I made a dinner we had several times with the boys in India, for special occasions like birthday parties. We ate it on our plates that we used there, just about like the ones the boys eat off of. It's hard to believe that one year ago we were living life with 44 boys in an orphanage in Northern India.

It seems like not a day goes by without some mention of India, whether in bedtime prayers, or stories that the kids bring up, "Mom, remember when that lizard fell from the ceiling and landed on your foot?" or "Remember when we did the wheat harvest? That was really hard work!" I find myself so drawn to Indian people that I see in the states, Indian recipe books at the library, or just any mention of the country. That place has a piece of our hearts.

I just read through some of my old blog posts from India. This one was good for me to read today: "Comfort is overrated." (Click on it to read.) I need that reminder again and again! We learned so many deep and valuable lessons while in India, but so quickly and easily I forget. God, thank You for reminding me of Your Truth today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those India experiences will forever remain in your psyche, and in you children. We also had contacts with Indian people in MA.
I talked to a young Indian at the car wash about having relatives in India and he was very interested.
(Someone in line behind me got impatient so I left). Could we eat chow mein on tin plates when I come see you? G'ma Marge

Amanda Seibert said...

we had chowmein tonight for rahul's birthday. mmmmmmm... :-)