Do they have enough? It’s not much, but it’s enough for them.
This is the house down the street. They have a cot that they sleep on outside. Their cows also live in front of their house. These are the realities that we look at everyday.
This conversation took place the other night as we walked home.
Clay: Mom, before we got here I thought that these boys would be really sad. (Laughs.)
Me: Why?
Clay: Because they don’t have anything to play with. But they’re not sad. They’re really happy.
Me: So what does that make you think of with all your toys back in the States?
Clay: I don’t need that many.
Then, at bedtime we talked about the slums in this town and the people who live in houses made of sticks and plastic tarps. Clay looked around his room at his cement floors and “closet.”
“Mom, they don’t even have closets because they have nothing and they don’t even have bucket baths!” So we decided that we’re pretty rich because we have these things in India!
I’m realizing how rich we all are . . . were we meant to have so much money to keep it, or did God bless us to be a blessing? Can we live on less, so we can give more? We must wrestle through these things.
6 comments:
Thank you again for putting into perspective for me to stop acting like I am doing without, just because I only have one bathroom..wow! Every time I read your blog, Adrienne, I get humbled and uplifted at the same time to read about and see what God is showing you and your family.
Love, Diane (Swihart)
we are so blessed here. we need to remember to have thankful hearts and share our abundance with others. {whether it be things or sharing the gospel}
blessings,
kara
A-have a lovely day from me to you!
Please tell me when you figure out the answer! Actually, I'm sure it's different for each family and I so appreciate your willingness to listen to how God is guiding you. You inspire me to do the same!
Hi, Ade,
I just read the following quote on Melissa Moore's blogspot (can be accessed by Living Proof Ministries-she just got back from a trip with "Compassion, Int'l" to India):
"N.T. Wright said in Simply Christian, 'The world in its present state is out of tune with God’s ultimate intention.' Today as I walked through the slums in Calcutta something rose up with protest in my soul with a resounding 'NO!' This is not the way it is supposed to be."
I pray that the sting we were hit with at Shishya will never go away!
Love you bunches, always,
Mom Lehman
I was just reading this morning Isaiah 58:6-7
6 "Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke,to set the oppressed free and break every yoke?
7 Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter— when you see the naked, to clothe him, and not to turn away from our own flesh and blood?
I thought it interesting that God calls this a "kind of fasting"--giving what God has blessed me with to give to those who need it more.
Thanks for this today, Ade. It confirmed what God is trying to get through to me.
xo
Although I don't write comments very often, just wanted you to know that we keep up on you guys and keep you in our prayers. Love Laura Witmer
Post a Comment