Monday, May 11, 2009

Journey to the slum

I was so thankful to be able to go with Amanda and her 6th grade class on a "field trip" to a nearby slum as they did a program and played some games with the children. Even Clay and Emma got to come along.

It was an amazing thing to be part of as we visited Sonu’s school for about 40 slum kids. Sonu grew up at the orphanage where we work. (Here he is surrounded by the kids he loves.)His life was changed by God. He sees that he has been blessed and now is passing that blessing on to others. I saw the work he is doing and said, “Sonu, this is amazing! Their parents must be so thankful to you!”

His reply astonished me. “No, not really. They actually give me a lot of problems. They say to me, ‘We survived without education. Our children will also. What’s the use?’” I fought back tears as we saw the matted hair and skinny bodies of the children there. The mother beating her child. The screaming of the baby.The people sifting through trash. The “houses” these people live in. The blisters on toughened feet. The health problems. The needs. I read Melissa’s blog recently and her thoughts express my feelings so well:

"N.T. Wright said in Simply Christian, 'The world in its present state is out of tune with God’s ultimate intention.' Today as I walked through the slums in Calcutta something rose up with protest in my soul with a resounding 'NO!' This is not the way it is supposed to be."
I pray that I will never forget the sting of what I witnessed today. This is not how it is supposed to be.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is gripping, Ade!! How does Sonu fund this education for these children? How long has he been doing this? I cannot even begin to imagine how great his reward will be in heaven!! What an amazing beautiful heart he has!!! What an experience for all of you...I'm sure Clay and Emma's eyes were as big as saucers trying to take it all in to their little hearts and minds!! Sonu is in my prayer journal...bless his amazing heart! Mom Rack

doddyj said...

I see those commercials on tv that proclaim the needs of 3rd world countries and the children who are severely malnourished and somehow my heart is hardened, as though they build it up on tv to make you think it's worse than it is. But.....your blog, it's a lot worse than even the tv says. You have challenged the way we think about how much we think we "need", and how much we can give away. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Ade,
Thank you so much for your blog. I can only read a little at a time because my tears will not allow me to see any longer. My heart goes in a hundred places in as many pieces. Thank you for sharing your world, God and his precious children with me.

Anna said...

hey adrienne
Your blog really moves me every time I read it, especially as where you are is so close to my heart. Praying for you guys in these last few weeks before you return home. i hope we can stay in touch when you get back.
much love anna (who you met in india with rich, josiah and esther!!)

Kelly said...

Hey Ade! Wow! Unfortunaltly we do forget. I have seen that many times in the DR but need to be reminded of God's grace bestowed upon me! I can't believe you'll be here in a few short weeks! Are you ready for the culture shock...I can't imagine. Take care! Love you!