Saturday, May 2, 2009

Amanda

I have loved being here in India with my sister Amanda and serving alongside her. We have talked late into the night on many occasions, laughed, cried, prayed, “baked” cakes and had parties, sung the boys to sleep, taught Sunday School and led devotions together, and so much more. It was very fun to celebrate Amanda’s birthday here this week. We decorated the main room of her house with balloons and signs. They also handmade cards for their "Amanda Mam." This picture was taken before they all went off to school in their little brown and yellow uniforms.

I made a chocolate cake to have after dinner. Since we have no oven, I used a cooker over the stove with the lid on. The boys were especially excited about the jelly beans on top of the cake. “Are these rashma?” they asked. (Those are the beans we eat with rice.) “Can I swallow it?” “Is it chewing gum?”
Then we brought out the glowsticks, sent from Mom Rack. These were a real hit. Boys ran around the dark cricket field, throwing their little glow bracelets high into the air. Then, like the little guys do with any new thing, they held their glowsticks in their hands as they went to sleep.
I love you, Amanda Mam. You are my hero!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Belated Happy Birthday! I thought of you on your birthday but all the lines were busy so couldn't get through on my phone. :>)) I'm losing track of how old you are. (Just checked and you are for sure my favorite 24 year old in India)!!! I love your blogs and I continue to remember you in my prayers. Love you lots, G'ma Marge