Saturday, April 18, 2009

Wheat harvest

Our bodies are scratched and bloody from the wheat we’ve encountered this week. It is the time of the year for wheat harvest . . . a huge undertaking and all the boys help out with it. The bigger boys cut the wheat and the smaller boys gather.
The big boys wake up at 5:30 a.m. to cut wheat for a few hours in the morning before heading off to school. Everyone goes out after school from 4:00 ‘til dark (about 7:30). It’s an amazing thing to watch the little guys come with their huge armloads of wheat and bring it to the threshing machine. The whole process takes about two weeks as there are at least ten fields that need to be harvested. It’s not without some pain…the weather right now is incredibly hot, dusty, and the wheat cuts or scratches any part of the body it touches. But, the boys know they must work to eat. This wheat will be enough to make chipati (flat bread made of flour and water) for the whole year.
I’ve noticed so many biblical illustrations as this process has unfolded.
“The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field.” (Matthew 9:37-38) The needs in India are HUGE. Would you come and help? Would you give of your money and resources to help those who cannot help themselves?

“I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest.” (John 4:35)

“Are you willing to say to God that He can have whatever He wants? Do you believe that wholehearted commitment to Him is more important than any other thing or person in your life? Do you know that nothing you do in this life will ever matter, unless it is about loving God and loving the people He has made?” (Francis Chan, Crazy Love.)

4 comments:

Susanna said...

Amazing to see these photos! We buy our wheat berries in 50# bags (then just dump it in our electric mill for wonderful, healthy, fresh flour), but it's completely painless for us. I bet your boys have a much deeper level of appreciation for their daily bread!

Royce said...

Aide,
I have been reading your blogs - at first to keep up with the lives of your parents:), but now because I love your writings so much. You are truly wise beyond your years! I am astounded at your gift of seeing beyond the personal and into the spiritual. You and your family are in our prayers. I especially pray for Clayton's health. Love,
Marci Yoder

Anonymous said...

Hi Ade, This is Joanna Sigman.
What incredible lessons about God and a Biblical view of the world your kids are learning! We've been teaching vicaiously through your blogs as well as here at home. Thanks for all your blogs. I'm so glad our kids can learn about your ministry in India as well as my parents in South Africa. The more we can expand their view of how big God is how he is working all over the world the more they'll see that they're not the center of it (hopefully :) We're praying for you all, Joanna for the fam

Anonymous said...

Dear Adrienne,
Well, this is my first time to try commenting on your blog. I find them all very interesting and even educational. And above all, you also have very appropriate scripture to go with your activities. I have the Red Hat Group today which I'm sure there is
no such frivolous thing in India!
Love, G'ma Marge Prayin' for you!