Saturday, April 11, 2009

Remember

We have had a special week with these boys as we have anticipated Easter. On Wednesday night, we followed Jesus’ example and washed each other’s feet. In Indian culture, this is crazy, because no “master” or high caste person would ever even touch a low caste person, much less do something humbling like wash feet. But, Jesus Christ (the Most High God) turned it upside down when he washed the feet of his disciples.

I went to the house of the middle boys (ages 9-12). I washed the boys’ feet with the houseparents, and told them, “This is because we love you, and want to serve you.” The boys had little smiles and said, “Thank you Mam.” As we were nearing the end, Little Ratan tugged at the edge of my kurta and whispered, “Mam, I wash your feet?” So I sat down and was enveloped in a hug from Faizal (age 9) as my feet were immersed in water and splashed and scrubbed by about 5 little smiling boys. I was humbled because my feet were the dirtiest of all. But isn’t it just like God…to wash even our dirtiest parts of our lives and scrub them clean?
Then for Good Friday, Jeff set up stations where we could pray, journal, draw, etc. John (age 12) drew this picture and so beautifully wrote,
“Remember me in this day. Remember me that I died this very day. Remember me all the time. Remember me in your dream. Remember me when you are giving thanks. Remember me when you are praying. Remember me because I died for you. I paid your debts. I was crucified for you. I came to earth for you. I left my home and came to earth because of you.”

3 comments:

Christine said...

How beautiful. All of it. It brings tears to my eyes, Adrienne. Jesus is making himself so very real to these precious boys, and He's using you and your family to do it. May God bless you abundantly this day. Have a beautiful Easter--it will be like none other, I'm sure. I can't wait to read about it.
Blessings to you and yours!

Perry Reichanadter said...

What a wonderful picture and poem. I'd buy that if it were put on a blank card.

Perry Reichanadter said...

Oh yes, and a wonderful post. I wish I could have been there to witness it. What a blessing you gave and received.