Monday, November 17, 2008

Onward to...

India! Jeff will be finished with his studies in December, and as we prayed and talked about our future, India seemed to be the thing that kept coming up. My sister, Amanda went to India to work at a boys orphanage nestled in the foothills of the Himalayas last January-May. Whenever she'd send us emails with stories, my eyes welled up with tears. I thought of how much we have that we take for granted, and how she's giving her life to these little boys who have nothing, but in some ways they have everything! They have very little in the way of material goods, but Amanda has told us how thankful and joyful they are. Amanda said, "This is not a sacrifice for me. I want to be here. There's no place else I'd rather be." She's inspired us...to go. We decided this was a great time to dive in as a family and serve these boys. We have no house to sell, no job, no ties. Amanda is going to be there with us, so we'll get to serve alongside her.
So these little ones will be our new family in January. We are so excited. I believe that this time will not be wasted, but that God has so much He wants to accomplish in our lives and through us as we love on those boys. Our kids talk about the children at the orphanage, and Emma says, "We're going to be their mommies and daddies." I have to correct her and say, "You're going to be the SISTER." :)

I'm excited about the simplicity of life there. I'll have 3 different sari outfits, and that's it. No scurry to keep up with the latest fashions and trends. I wonder what this is going to do for our family for the rest of our lives. We'll be forever marked by India.
"Calcuttas are everywhere if only we have eyes to see. Find your Calcutta."
-Mother Theresa

6 comments:

Susanna said...

We have been praying for your family as you prepare to make this transition! What a great example you are of listening to God and obeying His leading. Can't wait to hear all that God does in your lives through this adventure!!

pammycakes said...

how exciting...i have many patients here in fort worth that are from india...i love them dearly!! and they have the best anklet bracelets ever!!! and you always wear two..one on each ankle and they are silver and cheap over there!!! i want to go too!!!

Amanda Seibert said...

I'm honored by this post, and more and more excited every day for you guys to come!!!!

Tanya said...

So excited for you all!!
Are you raising support?? Going through an organization?? Im just curious as we are in the middle of rasing support to go to Argentina and also blessed by not having a house to sell or job as of Dec 8th.
Praying for your fam!!

NotSuchACityGirl said...

wow india...

Stephanie said...

This will be so amazing ... I look forward to seeing what God will do in and through your family!