Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Missing child...

Yesterday Clay went outside to play.

He does this often and usually I just peek out to check on him every few minutes or so. When I looked out the windows and didn't see him anywhere, I poked my head out the door and gave a quick scan over the yard.

No Clay.

Backpack hanging on the tree, but no Clay.

Then before I could even start to worry, I heard a little voice say, "Helllllooooo down there!" I looked up, squinted into the sunlight, and this is what I saw: Our 7 year old child was up in this tree that has some some branches barely strong enough to hold him! I later asked Clay about what gave him that idea, and he said with a smile, "I was like Jack and the Beanstalk!" I wonder what the neighbors would have thought if they had seen him climb and climb and keep going higher...Call me crazy, but when Daddy got home we made a limit of how high he can climb on that tree.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

When our youngest, Luke, was 2 or 3, he didn't want to take a bath, so the naked little boy ran out the back door and climbed our windmill. We had already talked with all the boys about the windmill climbing limit (because the vanes could conceivably take them out!!) I'm still given a hard time for running to get the camera and taking his picture, rather than running to "save" him. I'm SOOOO glad to see that response from another woman I consider a WONDERFUL mother! You made my day, Ade!!

jeny said...

Good grief! How did you ever get him down?
When I was a child, a neighbor got quite high in one of our trees but could not get back down.
Glad to hear that it turned out okay! We would definitely set a climbing limit too :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Clay, How was the view? You remind me of another boy named Reichanadter ...... Hmmmmmmm Grandpa Rack

Anonymous said...

OH my goodness! I remember climbing in our trees but was too scared to go that high. Thank the Lord he was ok!

Anonymous said...

Ya gotta love his adventurous spirit...I remember a day when he wouldn't have tried that! The pictures say it all...I love that you ran for the camera!! Thanks for sharing!

Jan Lehman said...

Oh MY, is he ever HIGH!!! Reminds me of Sumit shimmying up the tree to retrieve a kite in India. What brave (and maybe a tad crazy) boys they are!

Anonymous said...

Mark wants to know how he did that? Did he have his shoes on?

Mark loves to climb too. But Andrea is my champion climber (with Adrian a close second)!

Enjoy your beautiful days!
Joyce :)

Anonymous said...

OH MY WORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bet you about had a heart attack!!! lol YIKES! and yet... sounds like he has his dad's aventureous spirit! Krista

pammycakes said...

oh my........glad you found him!!! :)

Cash said...

Do you know the song "Anything Like Me" by Brad Paisley? If not, you should look it up. You and Jeff will love it. (=

Susanna said...

I'm guessing perhaps Jeff might have done this as a boy? I love that you waited til Jeff got home to set the limit on how high he could climb. In our attempts to protect our kids, sometimes we moms make restrictions that are not reasonable, and Dads are very helpful at balancing us out. :) (Ask me how I know!) Glad Clay was safe!

Anonymous said...

wow! now i'm thankful that the trees in our front yard aren't that tall. avrie's really been enjoying climbing lately too. it's a good thing the fire department is close in case we need them for a "rescue" call. :)

andrea