Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Profound thoughts from Old Yeller

One afternoon this week the children and I were snuggled on the couch under a cozy blanket, reading the children's classic, Old Yeller. It's a sweet story about a loyal dog and his master, a little boy named Travis. In the end, they had to shoot Old Yeller because he was sick (I hope I didn't just spoil it for you if you were going to read it! :), and Travis was having a hard time with it.

When I read what his dad told him, it struck me, like he was speaking it to me. His dad said, "It's not a thing you can forget. I don't guess it's a thing that you ought to forget. What I mean is, things like that happen. They may seem mighty cruel and unfair, but that's how life is a part of the time. But that isn't the only way life is. A part of the time, it's mighty good. And a man can't afford to waste all the good part, worrying about the bad parts. That makes it all bad..."

We've had some things in life lately that I tend to get distracted by...paying bills, taxes, a silly notice from a tollway violation, insurance, paperwork, waiting in lines, being put on hold for a long period of time while trying to speak with the right person and explain my case, etc. When I read what Travis' dad told him, it was a great reminder to me. Adrienne, don't let the little things of life weigh you down. Trust them to Jesus and let Him carry the burden. Focus on the other parts of life that are "mighty good."

And may we not waste all the good part, worrying about the bad part. Life is way too short for that.

4 comments:

Jan Lehman said...

I had something similar just this week, Adrienne. When I finally "let go and let God" it resolved itself! Reminds me of the Corrie ten Boom line: "Worry doesn't rob tomorrow of its sorrow. It robs today of its joy."
Can't wait to see you this weekend!
Love, Mom
PS I remember weeping at the end of Old Yeller, and I tear up just thinking about it again today, remembering Otis.

Susanna said...

Isn't that the truth?! I love how much we can learn from the books we're reading to our children. Happy Thanksgiving!! Your kids would probably really like Big Red, too.

Anonymous said...

That's awesome! We had to read that book last year. It's so cool how in just about everything you can find something to learn from it! :) Love you!!

Love,
Ashlyn

PS Hudson looks sooooo cute! I can't wait to see you at New Years!!!!

Jan Lehman said...

oops, I misquoted Corrie, above. It should read: "Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow; it empties today of its strength." ~~Corrie Ten Boom. Although I do believe worry robs us of joy, too, I need to double check my sources before publishing my comments! love you, Mom