Sunday, December 2, 2007

Naples, California

Some friends of ours encouraged us to visit Naples at Christmas because of the beautifully decorated homes that line both sides of a canal. We went tonight and walked about 2 miles, looking at pretty lights, boats, and a few gondolas that went by for a sunset cruise. I loved how the lights were reflected in the water. In one of the homes below, you'll notice they made the house look like a giant Santa face. We were both surprised that out of the hundreds of homes we saw, none had a nativity outside.

One of my favorite carols reminds me of the meaning of Christmas. I hope you can reflect on these beautiful words by Christina Rossetti (1830-1894).

In the bleak mid-winter
Frosty wind made moan,
Earth stood hard as iron,
Water like a stone;
Snow had fallen, snow on snow,
Snow on snow,
In the bleak mid-winter
Long ago.

Our God, Heaven cannot hold him,
Nor earth sustain;
Heaven and earth shall flee away
When he comes to reign;
In the bleak mid-winter
A stable-place sufficed
The Lord God Almighty
Jesus Christ.

What can I give him,
Poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd I would bring a lamb,
If I were a wise man
I would do my part--
Yet what can I give him,
Give my heart.

1 comment:

Tanya said...

Thanks for sharing that Ade!!! We live in Boca Raton, FL and I too have yet to see a nativity set. It saddens my heart to know that so many people are missing the true meaning of Christmas. But, what a privilege to be His shinning light in this dark world.

What are you all doing for Christmas this year??