At Mosaic Church this Sunday, there was an announcement about support for those suffering a loss while others celebrate (the holidays), and I thought of my Grandma Marge, who lost her husband, my Grandpa Ed, 3 years ago (12.24.04).
Then at work on Monday night, a man named Jerry came in. He's a Houston's "regular"...and always super friendly to us. He's a big guy, with a huge smile and heart. He reminds me of my Grandpa Ed. When I walked by his table, he waved at me, and I thought of Grandpa Ed, always being so friendly to the waitresses at Essenhaus when we'd go out for breakfast together. I almost started crying right there because it was like Grandpa was sitting there smiling and waving at me...through Jerry.
It's weird how it hits me at different times...and I remember my Grandpa and cry.
Yesterday afternoon I was reading "The Tale of the Three Trees" book to Clay. I read, "And suddenly the first tree knew he was holding the greatest treasure in the world." (The tree was built into a manger for Baby Jesus.) It was one of those moments when everything stopped and it was just Clay and me having a deep conversation.
He said, "Mom, why is Jesus the greatest treasure in the world?" So, I explained how Jesus came to earth, lived a perfect life, and died so we wouldn't have to... Clay asked how our bodies get to heaven when we die. Whew, that's a tough one. He answered his own question and said, "Is it just our spirits that go to heaven?" "Yes, Clay."
We talked about Grandpa Ed and Grandma Doris and how they're not on earth anymore, but they're in heaven in new bodies. Clay wondered out loud about his new body in heaven, "Do you think I'll have a blue nose?" We had such a beautiful moment there. Then an ambulance siren sounded outside and broke our conversation as Clay rushed over to the window to look. How ironic.
The closing paragraph from the final book of "The Chronicles of Narnia" reads:
"But the things that began to happen after that were so great and beautiful that I cannot write them. And for us this is the end of all the stories, and we can most truly say that they all lived happily ever after. But for them it was only the beginning of the real story. All their life in this world and all their adventures in Narnia had only been the cover and the title page: now at last they were beginning Chapter One of the Great Story, which no one on earth has read; which goes on forever: in which every chapter is better than the one before."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Thank you so much for this beautiful reflection. Your title brought one of my favorite verses to mind:
Ecclesiastes 3:11
He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end.
How important it is to remember what this season is truly about. We miss out on so much if we forget.
Blessings to you and yours!
Oh, Adrienne, I'm sorry you are missing your Grandpa! My Grandma has been gone for 16 years and it never gets easier. Sometimes they feel so present you could touch them...
Whenever we heard emergency sirens when we were growing up, my mom always had us say a prayer for whoever was in danger or dying and also for the emergency workers that they would be able to help in time. I have always appreciated that discipline, as it taught me empathy and an awareness of others critical needs in critical moments.
Lastly, I need to finish the Chronicles of Narnia! I never got past the fourth book!!
Post a Comment