Thursday, October 22, 2009

Nature Walk


The other day as part of our homeschool, Jeff took the kids on a hike through my parents' backyard. They found so much amazing stuff--a bird's nest, leaves, berries, pinecones, and flowers. I've always thought that nature gives us the best decorating objects! But probably the most exciting find of the day. . .
this cocoon that we're going to keep and watch 'til the little guy comes out. (Actually, he might be kind of big. The cocoon measures about 3-4 inches.) Then we'll let him fly away. Our kids now have a keen interest in moths, butterflies, and caterpillers because of this. They've been asking, "How long will he be in there?" That's part of the mystery . . . no one knows. Any guesses?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw, the other night when i was tucking Emma into bed, I told her she was like a caterpillar in a cocoon, and I was trying to explain how it turns into a butterfly. Maybe this will help her understand better! : )
~Aud

Susanna said...

You have an amazing gift for finding beauty all around you - I love the way you organized the nature treasures! What an incredible gift to your children to have this opportunity to explore, discover, and learn...

Anonymous said...

I wonder if the little guy feels kind of like you....how much longer am I going to be in here?... I just wish I knew how many days, months I'm going to have to be in here....when do I get to start doing what I was created to do?....where will I live?...what will my new world look like?.......... But for now, little guy, I guess you're exactly where God has designed you to be. BUT WE SURE ARE EXCITED TO SEE WHAT HE HAS PLANNED NEXT FOR YOU !!!! And for you too, Jeff and Ade!!!!
Faithful in prayer,
Love, Mom Rack

Jayme said...

Cool! I wonder if it reminded them of our tomato caterpillar story. I think it will wait all winter...maybe first of March?