Monday, August 3, 2009

Jr. High Camp

We just returned from 5 days at Camp Calvary in Newaygo, Michigan. It is a beautiful little place and we have great memories of taking the youth group kids there for several years. Jeff was the camp speaker for the 6th-9th graders from our old church. He urged them to totally surrender their lives to God--their futures, their dreams and goals, sports, relationships, everything. . . because God is worth it and He has great plans for their lives.Clayton found out he loves to play carpetball. There he is, standing on a chair at the far end of the game table. This made me laugh to see that he was playing against an older guy and not intimidated at all. He even yelled out on several occasions, "Who wants to play me now?" and said, "Mom, I keep on winning!" He doesn't have a confidence problem at this point!

I think he may get a bit of confidence from his father, who decided to try a ski jump while at camp. He put on the helmet, and tried three times to successfully complete the jump. It was quite a show and we laughed a lot. However, when he came back holding his chest and saying, "Is it bad that I have to do this when I take a deep breath?" it was not funny anymore! He may have hurt his ribs, but he says it was totally worth it! This is the picture I got of him flying through mid-air. He makes me proud. :)
Though Jeff was speaking to junior highers, I'm reminded that the lesson of "surrender" comes to each of us, every day. It's a choice we make to loosen our grip and remain in His Grip, where He holds us close. May we come to Him today with a surrendered heart saying, "God, I am Yours."

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

holy cow!! :) no wonder those ribs hurt! hope it's all better, so good to catch up with you this weekend!