Friday, June 24, 2011

A little less water, please

Water drips from the ceiling. Water puddles on the floor. Water washes everything away. Water floods my eyes with tears. This has been our reality this week. Flash floods, the worst in FOUR decades. This means one of the homes we are trying to sell has flooded again, with five feet of water in the basement. So discouraging, when we had JUST cleaned up from the last flood and had JUST met with the realtor the day before to list it again.

Then, on top of that, the one bathroom in our own house started having problems. The shower is draining onto the dining room floor below. Ugh!

I happened to be reading a book this week called “One Thousand Gifts.” It’s been incredible, and I think of it as a lifeline when I felt like I was sinking, literally!

One of the parts that really resonated with me is this: “When My glory passes by, I will put you in a cleft in the rock and cover you with My hand until I have passed by. Then I will remove My hand and you will see My back” (Exodus 33:22-23).

Ann Voskamp writes, “Is that it? When it gets dark, it’s only because God has tucked me in a cleft of the rock and covered me, protected, with His hand? In the pitch, I feel like I’m falling, sense the bridge giving way, God long absent. In the dark, the bridge and my world shakes, cracking dreams. But maybe this is true reality: It is in the dark that God is passing by. The bridge and our lives shake not because God has abandoned, but the exact opposite: God is passing by. God is in the tremors. Dark is the holiest ground, the glory passing by. In the blackest, God is closest, at work, forging His perfect and right will. Though it is black and we can’t see and our world seems to be free-falling and we feel utterly alone, Christ is most present to us, I-beam supporting in earthquake. Then He will remove His hand. Then we will look. Then we look back and see His back. “

We are finding God’s presence to be real in the form of amazing friends this week. One bringing flowers and cookies and going for a walk with me, stopping by to take Clayton on a play date, coming over to help us unclog our drains and fix our water problems, and today, two that went with us to the flooded house and helped mop floors, pick up debris, and spray the dirt away, and tomorrow family coming to help with the finishing touches one more time.

So again, we clean, pray, wait, and hope to soon look back and see His back.

8 comments:

5boysrock said...

I heard on the news this week that Indy was getting soaked again, I thought of you guys. Im so sorry! BUT I am so thrilled that you are seeing HIM in all of this. Isn't that book amazing? It has so much to read and understand and grasp...I need to read it again! Hang in there...Love you friend!

Cash said...

We are praying! Praying you sell that house for sure! Your faith is encouraging! Thanks for sharing!
-Mr. and Mrs. Stricker (=

Anonymous said...

It was a tear-filled morning of worship for me today...every song we sang drew my heart to pray for you...to lift you up literally into the holy righteous hands of God........

I'm in a fight not physical, I'm in a war, but not with this world, You are the light that's beautiful, And I want more - I want all that's Yours!
...just enough strength to live for today, so I never have to worry what tomorrow will bring , causse my faith is on solid rock - I am counting on God!!!!

Be still - there is a healer..His love is deeper than the sea...His mercy is unfailing...His arms a fortress for the weak. Let faith arise! Let faith arise!!
I lift my hands to believe again...You are my refuge. You are my strength as I pour out my hert, these things I remember. You are faithful God forever!

There's no one like You...none like you...Into the darkness, You SHINE; out of the ashes, we RISE! Our God is greater, stronger, higher than any other...healer, awesome in power, our God!
And if our God is with us..then what could possibly stand against???

You gently call me into Your presence, guiding me by Your Holy Spirit..Teach me, dear Lord, to live all my life thru Your eyes! I'm captured by Your Holy calling..set me apart...I know You're drawing me to Yourself..Lead me, Lord, I pray! Take me, mold me, use me, fill me, I give my life to the Potter's hand. Mold me, guide me, lead me, walk beside me, I give my life to the Potter's hand......

Such powerful words. Enormous concepts. Weighty pondering. Yes, Lord...no, Lord...I don't know, Lord...this is sooooo hard. Lord Jesus, please carry Jeff and Adrienne, and hold them close to your heart, as you continue to prepare them for all that you intend. Amen.
With all my love, Mom Rack

Aunt Mart said...

Thanks so much for sharing your heart so open and honestly. This journey will no doubt only make sense some day looking back on it.

Love you guys! Hope to make an Indy visit to see you in July!

Aunt Mart said...

P.S. - Are you ever gonna change your blogspot to "The 5 Racks"? I mean, Hudson may have to go through years of therapy to get over this.... :-)

Just make sure you're doing what we do, put money in the kids' "counseling fund"....

I need to check out that book. Glad you had fun in CO... I was just a yittle bit jealous...

Anonymous said...

We will be praying for you!

Joyce

jeny said...

How well I know the tune to that old song :(
I'm so sorry you're going through this again. We're praying too - hang in there!

Christine said...

I'm so sorry to hear of these hardships! Jayme told us yesterday of the third flood. We are praying for dry days ahead and a miraculous sale. Keep looking for those gifts among the wreckage, dear one, and know that you are being held up by many.