Saturday, March 26, 2011

Beauty

Emma got to have a few neighbor girls over for the afternoon yesterday. She was in heaven, being the “Mother Hen” and helping the little girls get fancy, one of her favorite things of all time.

Here they are putting on lotion. Since they got too much on their hands, they had to apply it to their legs too. The room smelled strongly of peppermint, tutti fruiti, and apple when they were finished. I love this picture though, because time stands still. It makes me think of when I was a little girl. Do you remember those days --When you didn’t have a care in the world, but could just pretend, imagine, and dream… and change your outfit five times in one afternoon?

Bethany Dillon sings a song called “Beautiful.” I think it even speaks to the hearts of little girls and their longings to be lovely. The words say:

I want to be beautiful
and make you stand in awe.
Look inside my heart
and be amazed.
I want to hear you say
who I am is quite enough.
I want to be worthy of love,
and beautiful.

I know I’m going to blink and these moments will be gone. But for now, I will enjoy the sounds of little girls playing dressup, laughing, and talking, and putting on way too much scented lotion.

"You are a woman. And image bearer of God . . . You were chosen before time and space, and you are wholly and dearly loved. You are sought after, pursued, romanced . . . Your aching, awakened heart leads you to the feet of Jesus, where you wait on Him and wait for Him. The eyes of His heart are ever upon you. The King is captivated by your beauty."

(From Captivating, by John and Stasi Eldridge)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember when I was doing that as a little girl, Adrienne...and when Melissa was a little girl....and Cassia and Ashlyn...and now our precious little princess, Emma. Thank you for the reminder that we are beautiful...even these aging, wrinkling bodies are beautiful to our Creator...and that's all that really matters. I love you, Mom R

Melissa Ries said...

I can't believe those days have come and gone for my girls. Yesterday we visited the school that Cassia may go to this fall to start HIGHSCHOOL! Now my grown-up girl wears make-up, jewelry- even earrings. . . the little girl playing "dress up" has turned into a young lady!! I know I will blink and she will be off to college. . . how I treasure these times we have together, and I'm so glad you are treasuring these days with Emma as a little girl, playing dress-up and using lots of yummy-smelling lotion! :) I love you bunches!!! Melissa

Jayme said...

Haven't poked my nose in for a while. I love this post. I have some magical moments I hold dearly in my memory. Isn't it so cool to know you're an intimate ally in making these times so special for Emma!?