Thursday, September 16, 2010

Story

We have been reading Donald Miller’s provocative book, “A Million Miles in a Thousand Years.” It has made Jeff and me think about our lives and if we’re really living to the fullest extent the story God is desires us to live out.

The book begins with this: “If you watched a movie about a guy who wanted a Volvo and worked for years to get it, you wouldn’t cry at the end when he drove off the lot, testing the windshield wipers ... But we spend years actually living those stories, and expect our lives to feel meaningful.”

He says about people, “They are born and spend several years discovering themselves and the world, then plod through a long middle…and then they find themselves at an ending that seems to be designed for reflection. At the end, their bodies are slower, they are not as easily distracted, they do less work, and they think and feel about a life lived rather than look forward to a life getting started.”

"If you aren’t telling a good story, nobody thinks you died too soon. They just think you died."

This has been so convicting for Jeff and me. We want to spend our lives doing things that matter for eternity, and not just get caught up in our house projects or individual pursuits that don’t make for a great story anyway. So often we get consumed with us, our needs, our desires, our plans, our problems, and all the while forgetting that there's a much bigger story being written by the Author of Life. We desire to figure out what the compelling stories are for us to live into here. We're searching for what things God is doing that we can join Him in here in Indy and around the world.

What about you? What story is your life telling? What are you living for?

3 comments:

Angela said...

If I could "Like" this post, I would. Miller is right, how often do we live our lives to get that proverbial Volvo. I would like to tell a good story. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this reading and your processing. Love you all.

Danielle said...

I have been loving catching up tonight on you guys' life! We haven't gotten together in FOREVER!!! I haven't even said congrats yet on little Hudson. He is beautiful. When you guys come back into the area, we'd love to spend some time together if possible. We'd love to have you guys over for dinner, even, with the fam, if you're interested :) Anyway, blessings to you...

{IN}-Sight Ministries said...

I think this is a very interesting post, but the thing that I find myself having to be careful of is not seeing the current work I am doing as holy and ordained by God because it doesn't seem like "the big thing." God has ordained you guys to re-do homes right now and how do you do that work in a holy way that is still part of the story? Our pastor said this last Sunday and it was very encouraging to me as I struggle with doing what God has called us to do today and finding delight in because it is what God has called me to (being a mom and running a landscape business) "There is no small thing if God created you to do it!"
Love you guys and what God is doing in and through you
Sarae