Monday, November 2, 2009

moments in the desert

November 1st marked five months since we left India. We are still here, moving our suitcases back and forth between our gracious parents' homes, and waiting on God. The wait has been a struggle and I have had lots of tears, especially lately as I seem to have hit my breaking point. I have felt so many emotions...sadness, discouragement, frustration, disappointment with God, loss of hope, and more fragile emotionally than I've ever been before.

The other day I was crying and Sensitive Miss Emma asked, "Mommy, are you crying because we don't have a house?" I didn't know how to explain it all to a 4 year old, so I just nodded. She said, "It's okay, Mommy. Clay and I aren't crying. We'll get one soon enough." That was just the word from God that I needed to hear that moment. Spoken from God, through a child . . . yet straight to my heart.

The song that speaks to my heart most right now is "The Desert Song"(click here to listen) by Hillsong:

This is my prayer in the desert
When all that's within me feels dry
This is my prayer in my hunger and need
My God is the God who provides

This is my prayer in the fire
In weakness, or trial, or pain
There is a faith proved of more worth than gold
So refine me Lord through the flame

All of my life in every season
You are still God
I have a reason to sing
I have a reason to worship

I read an email that Jeff wrote a friend of ours recently. It really sums up our life right now. I asked him if I could share it because I loved how he wrote so honestly.

"as for us, yes, life is quite difficult at times. adrienne and i were just saying tonight that in many ways this journey is so much more challenging than india. the unknown, the waiting, the doors that open so wide that light comes rushing in, offering hope for our souls, only to get squeezed shut, revealing the darkness once again. three weeks ago we thought we were looking at three good options and now all of those have been put on hold. it seems that the waiting game continues. nevertheless, there is a work that God is doing in us that can only happen in the crucible. it feels like that's where we are and though i wish that He would show me what the future holds, He has not failed to be present.

while i'm anxious for the waiting period to be through, i suppose that i will miss the moments of seeing God speak through the generous gifts of friends and family, the words of truth spoken through strangers, and the proximity to God i've experienced simply because we are in the wilderness. "

13 comments:

Tammy said...

Ade~Know that there is much to be accomplished in the waiting. He is ever-present and refining. This is our 3rd year in the waiting, although times are more discouraging than ever, our hope is not in our changing circumstances or location but in an ever-present, Almighty Savior. I'm praying for you guys! Thanks for the transparency!

Anonymous said...

Ade, i will continue to pray for you guys! i know somewhat how frustrating it is to have to wait on the Lord...keep believing in God's truth! love you guys!

Anonymous said...

My dear Adrienne--Thank you for allowing your close friends into the depths of your soul. It is a courageous effort to bare your inmost feelings yet great peace and healing can come from allowing others to help you bear the burden. ("Bear ye one another's burdens and so fulfill the law of Christ.)" I still have a direct line. :>) G'ma Marge

Shelly said...

I've been praying for you all every day and will continue. It's like the song, "While I'm waiting...I will serve You..." although it's so much easier said than done...Hang in there and God bless sweet Emma!

Christine said...

My heart aches for you, dear. I've been in that waiting room before too. It's such a difficult time...especially when you've just come from the mountain-top. Cling to His promises, dear one. He has a great plan for you and your family. I will be praying for you.

Jan Lehman said...

Oh, dear, it might be my fault--I'm not praying hard enough for you to get moved out of here!
Love you!
Mom

Hyser Family said...

I am loving The Desert Song right now too. We've got it on our playlist at the office and I secretly turn it up a couple notches when it comes on. :) I appreciate your honesty here and now know a little more specifically how we can be praying.

Anonymous said...

Praying faithfully.
Waiting with you.
Anticipating His revelation.
Resting in His faithfulness.
Loving you with all my heart.
Mom Rack

Amanda Seibert said...

thanks for sharing your heart. we're praying for you here in india. keep me posted.

Jennifer said...

Ade, I love that you've shared this with us too. Crying out for you right now, for rest and peace, and darn it, a place to land! Your desires for a home and place are god-given...praying for fulfillment, and strength and faith to fill the gap 'til then.
I love the daily joys & quiet moments you share with us, continue hanging on to these blessings.

much love & prayers, jen
p.s. don't know if you've ever read it, but i love phil yancey's disappointment with god...he helps me find a safe space in god's work to hurt & question and see hope & comfort at the same time

Jayme said...

Look for the things you are good at, and do them with all of your heart! We're doing some treading of water too and I tend to think its my fault that we are still where we are. But I know firsthand that the pain and anxiety strengthens my character and is actually a GIFT from God. I would never want the easy road. Praying for you. Love you, Sister.

doddyj said...

Ade, thanks for your honesty. I understand your heart, and feel like I go through my moments of desert too. What is so beautiful, though, is looking back and realizing that even in my struggle with God through those times, He still walks me through it and teaches me in the process. Some days, I long for what seemed like simpler life a few years ago, when we had a purpose, but then I realize I'm no greater than the Israelites, longing to be a slave again. Why don't I have a passion and flame in my heart for what God will do? It seems like when God doesn't answer on my timing, I begin to think He will never answer and I'll be stuck living life like I never wanted to forever. I am confident God WILL use this time in your life and you will be thankful for it one day...in the meantime, hang on, tight.

Anonymous said...

when I wanted to quit photography, God used you to call me and tell me His will for my life. If was your gracious heart, your tenderness, your encouragement and you Hope that called me back, away from disappointment and discouragement, into a place of HOPE, PEACE and a CALLING.

May I return the favor. Although I may not have much to say, I just want to share with you, my dear friend, that God hasn't left. Doesn't it suck to be unknowing? It's so difficult to be floundering about. God has you? Even waiting in that may be difficult.

Sometimes, you and Jeff know what's going on but your kids, they don't have a clue. It's cuz your kids trust you they they can laugh and play while they wait. Also because you allow and teach them to laugh and play while they wait.

You are in God's hands. HE WILL NEVER LET YOU GO, even when it seems the darkest.

I love you Adrienne. :) Thank you for being such a blessing in my life. HUGS!!!

Leila